Welcome to Dorset ME Support Group
We are a registered Charity providing practical support to our members with CFS/ME, and their families and carers. Currently, our membership is over 600, spread across Dorset , including, Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.
What We Do
We have 2 part-time employees who help co-ordinate and run our support programme for members which provides:-
- Advice and guidance on Benefits, assistance with completion of application forms, help with appeals and, when required, representing members at tribunals.
- Advice and guidance on welfare, social care and housing benefits.
- Local Link Groups offering informal venues for members to meet and socialise. We also organise other activities tailored to the needs of people with CFS/ME, like the Weymouth boat trip in the photo. More activities are shown in this gallery.
- A twice yearly newsletter circulated to members with details of forthcoming events and meetings, news, poems and other pieces contributed by members.
- An annual Medical Lecture by speakers with knowledge of CFS/ME to provide updates on advances in understanding and treatment of the illness.
NHS Services in Dorset
Dorset is one of the few counties in the country to have dedicated NHS CFS/ME services for both adults and young people. Both adult and children’s Services can provide courses of treatment to stabilise the symptoms and aid recovery. Monthly clinics for adults are held in Wareham Community Hospital with a consultant and specialist doctor.
The Dorset NHS CFS/ME Service for Children and Young People runs in 2 centres; at Dorset County Hospital and Poole Hospital. References are normally made via GPs for both adults and children.
This Group has formed a valuable and robust working partnership with the NHS CFS/ME Services. For more information on these clinics, and about this Group’s support and interaction with both Services, click here.
An information pack about the work of the Group and its activities can be obtained from the Group Administrator. A membership application form is included in the pack, and if you want to know more about becoming a member, click here.
Dorset ME Support Group
25 Mariners Way
Tel. 01305 777670